Luverne Christian Reformed Church

History

The Luverne Christian Reformed Church had its beginning when several families of Reformed conviction began to meet, in the spring of 1941, in the home of Mr. & Mrs. Peter Block. Rev. Paul De Koekkoek, pastor of the Hills, MN, Christian Reformed Church, led the services. The group grew in number so that, at its spring meeting of 1944, Classis Sioux Center permitted the congregation to organize and to elect its own officebearers. Later that same year the congregation purchased what was then known as the Jones' Sisters property, which was located at 609 N. Estey in Luverne. The property included a large house, which served for several years as both church (main floor) and parsonage (upstairs).
 
 
In 1952 a new building was constructed at the corner of Bishop and Estey.While the new building was adequate for several years, it became evident that additional facilities were needed for the growing congregation. Several plans were considered, and on September 15, 1979, a groundbreaking ceremony was held for building the present sanctuary and for transforming the old worship area into a fellowship hall.
 

 

 

 

 

With God's blessing and the gifts of His people, the new and remodeled facilities were dedicated to God's glory with special services September 30 and October 1, 1980.
 
 
Our history, however, isn't just about buildings! Mostly it's about people who have followed Christ by serving Him as members of His church. We give thanks for so many who have prayed, shared their gifts, and devoted themselves to the work of our congregation throughout it's existence.
 
We have also been blessed by the faithful service of the Ministers of the Word who have labored among us, including: J.E. Brink (1946-1949), J. Vanden Hoek (1949-1957), H.C. Van Wyk, Jr. (1957-1961), J.F. De Vries (1961-1964), G. Corvers (1964-1967), B. Den Herder (1967-1980), R.L., Scheuers (1981-1987), P.E. Bakker (1998-1994), B Leiter (1995-1998), G. Koopmans (2000-2005), and R. Sparks (2006-present).
 
Our history is yet unfinished. We know that up until now the Lord has helped us, and we trust that with His gracious blessing we will continue to live and work as members of the holy, worldwide Church of Jesus Christ.